Monday, May 24, 2010

Back Talk With Jay Howell


San Francisco based artist-author-DJ-record label owner-curator-party lovin’ dude Jay Howell (Juxtapoz #113) clearly, does a lot of things. We focus on his artwork in our current June 2010 issue; now get into Jay’s head by reading his answers to our 20 Back Talk questions.

One reason you make art:

It makes me laugh.

The last good movie you saw:

Wild Combination, a Portrait of Arthur Russell

Something you’ve always wanted to do, but have yet to:

Indoor skydiving looks fun.


Favorite country or city visited:

Los Angeles, I like to go to Canters Deli and then to Family bookstore across the street.

A few words that sum up your philosophy on life:

Blast music, drink beer, yell all the time...then reflect on that.

Something you want the world to know about you:

I've never ridden a motorcycle.

Something that annoys or frustrates you about people:

Kids walk down the street and all they talk about is beating people up. They should be talking about boobs and doing awesome jumps.



Something that concerns you:

My mental stability.

Artists you admire:

Porous Walker, Kelly Tunstall, Ferris Plock, Michelle Blade, Skinner, Marci Washington, Deth P Sun, Matt Furie, Jason Jagel, Henry Lewis, Chirs Sullivan, Jesse Balmer, Bill Dunlap, Chris Johanson, Will Laren, Travis Millard, Mel Kadel, Anthony Lister and lots more, but mostly Porous.

Favorite quote(s):

I remember dirty jokes not quotes.


The first record or CD you ever bought? The last album you downloaded?

First CD was Nothing's Shocking by Jane's Addiction, the last thing downloaded was Sonny and the Sunsets' new record because the store was sold out of vinyl.

Something you do when you’re procrastinating?

Words with friends. I go under the name Howellman if you wanna play.


What is your most defining characteristic?

I'm tall with a pointy nose.

What is your greatest fear?

Last call and watching the sun rise.

The moment you realized you were an ‘artist’:

Recently.

Your greatest quality:

I will wash the dishes if you cook for me.


Something you wish you could change or alter about yourself:

Nah, I can deal with what I got dealt - slowly balding, terrible asthma, and all.

What is the biggest risk you’ve ever taken and was it worth it?

It's all risks, there's never a moment where I'm comfortable. I’m constantly on the edge of blowing it.

Something you wish you had known five years ago:

Work harder, like way harder.

What do you hope to accomplish in the next five years of your life?

Feature length animated movie, win an eating contest, skate more, get a dog, and have even more fun than I'm having now.


Follow Jay on his blog jayhowellart.blogspot.com

VIA